Sami's 2014 Australian Album Tour- Queensland Newsletter

Hey everyone! 
I thought that this would be the perfect time for me to write a newsletterabout my last 3 months  on tour inQueensland. I have been performing 3-4 shows a week, as I head off nextWednesday for the last part of my five month Queensland Tour! I have had themost amazing experiences this year touring around the eastern side of Australiaand I am proud to announce that we have already began planning and booking formy tour next year, with some BIG announcements to be made early next year.  

I have been lucky enough to have Andrew Weegberg design mybrand new website,which went live around a month ago. Be sure to check it out and visit all mydifferent music links including my Twitter page my Facebook page all my regular updates and events.

If you like, you can also purchase my album from there aswell.

The Queensland Tour kicked off with the Caboolture Urban Country MusicFestival, where I performed on both days Saturday 3rd May and Sunday4th May. This was a fantastic festival for letting the Queenslandpeople who I was, where I would be in their areas, also I caught up with somany of my musical friends and photographers. I had a wonderful photo shoot theday after with Greg Young and Bob McGahan on the lake at Alexandra Headlands,which you may have seen a few on Facebook.

My second weekend consisted of three shows in the SunshineCoast Area; Beerwah Hotel on the 9th May, Caboolture RSL on the 10thMay and Ettamogah Pub on the 11th May. This was a 12 hour weekend ofsinging for me so I was very happy to have a local girl Cassie Hilbers performas my support act for my last show. I try to organise a support act for eachone of my shows to give them the opportunity I never had, to get up on stage infront of an audience and be seen by the venues. They perform between six toeight songs throughout my shows. During this time I had a few radio interviewswithin the Sunshine Coast region which was very exciting as they helped get mymusic heard.

We were very happy tohave my Dad fly up to watch one of my shows and stay for a couple of nights. Weheaded out from the Sunshine Coast to Gympie where I performed at Billy’s Hotelon the 18th May. This was a great night as the place was packed withpeople who came as they heard I would be there. Dad left the next day so Mum and I left for Maryborough to stay with herfriend Carolynn. We had an absolute ball there with another four shows in thatarea; Carrier Arms Hotel in Maryborough on the 23rd May, BayswaterHotel Hervey Bay on the 25th May, Shamrock Hotel on the 30thMay and Woodgate Club on the 31st May. I again had a local girlKayla Ryan as my support act for my last three shows which was great. I had ashock when I arrived at one of my shows and some of my family from Cowra inNSW, the Henderson’s, had driven all the way up to watch me again! Howincredible!

While I was in Maryborough, I decided to splurge on another instrument, thistime I bought a Tenor Ukulele which I have named “Danny”. I love thisinstrument as it makes any song sound happy. At my last show, I got two peopleup on stage with me and I handed them maracas, while I played my ukulele. Thatwas so much fun. 

I also decided to add another instrument to the show… This time I haveincorporated the saxophone into a couple of songs. We all love somethingdifferent, don’t we?

We had a new addition tothe tour for a few weeks; a Bass player/Singer/Songwriter, Tracey Davis. Traceyjoined the tour on the 3rd June when we were in Bundaberg. This wasa huge experience for us all to have another musician with us since my brotherin Victoria and we had a ball. The first weekend Tracey was with us, I had fourshows which equalled up to fourteen hours of singing in four days! I performedat The Waves in Bundaberg on the 5th and 6thJune,  The beautiful Bundaberg RSL on the 7thJune (which was right on the river) and we experienced a little of the miningcommunities when I played at Gladstone Yacht Club on the 8th June(again this was right on the river).

We stayed with Tracey’s family in Yeppoon during the weekbefore we headed out to Blackwater Country Club on the 13th June (wewore all black for Friday the 13th) and Emerald on the 14thJune.These places were fantastic and we all made some great friends. In Emerald, Ihad a surprise visit from my Great Uncle Steve who drove all the way from Kempseyin NSW to Emerald in Queensland JUST to see me sing. This was amazing andreally made me realise how much of a supportive family I really do have.

The next weekend was alittle quieter as I had to move from Yeppoon to Mackay which was a fairdistance compared to our other trips. We had one more show to do with Traceybefore we headed up further and she went back down home, and this was at theKeppel Bay Sailing Club in Yeppoon. We had so much fun here as it was right onthe beach and was a packed out crowd. We had people dancing along and singingto all our songs. The day after we said goodbye to Tracey and Mum and I headedoff for a two hour drive to the tiny place of Marlborough. This was probablyone of the best nights as it was a full on, fun and eventful night with apacked out audience.

We left Marlborough togo the Mackay which was such a great place. We caught up with a couple of ourbeautiful friends Sharone Carter and Oliver Carter-Beck a few times and werelucky enough to be shown around by them. We stayed at MyCow Accommodationswhich was right next to the river and I played a show there for all those alongthe street and in the caravan park on the Saturday 28th June. I hadanother two shows this weekend as well at Sarina Leagues Club on the 27thJune and at the Old Railway Hotel in Mackay on the 29th June. Thesewere some of the best shows I think I have had, especially at the Old RailwayHotel as it was completely packed of musicians who would jump up on stage andstart backing each other. I can’t wait to come back and play again!

Westayed for a couple more days before we left for Airlie Beach. What can I sayabout this place besides absolutely STUNNING! We went out the night we gotthere and saw one of our friends Cameron Cusack playing at Magnums Hotel; whichis where I would be playing. That night and the next night Cameron got me to doa few songs on stage. I had three shows to finish off this part of theQueensland Tour; Proserpine Ex-Services Club on the 4th July, MontesReef Resort on the 5th July and Magnums Hotel on the 6thJuly. Montes Reef Resort had to be the most beautiful place I have ever playedas my stage was literally on the beach overlooking the mountains, islands andcrystal blue water. This just reminded me how lucky I am to be able to travelour beautiful country and perform in places such as that.

We had a good lookaround before we packed up again and headed back to Mackay for the night. Westayed with Sharone and Oliver and on the 8th July Mum and I caughtthe plane for Canberra for our two week break at home. I don’t think we werereally prepared for the cold weather though as the first day we were home, wewent to the snow with my sister and her kids.

Wellthat basically brings you back to today. I want to thank everyone for all yourconstant support, and all my new supporters! I can never have enough so pleasekeep sharing my page and music to all your friends. 
I have a few new things up, a few more songs on the way and some more excitingnews to be announced soon so be sure to check out my links:

Manager’s Phone: 0439 134 040
Instagram: Sami_Cooke
Youtube: SamiCooke


Sami Cooke